Fayes Place

Fayes Place

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Setting a block On Point

One of the groups I am in are doing a Round Robin and one round is - turn the block on point. I looked at all the info and really couldnt work out just where to start. I've been quilting for almost 30 years, so I thought if I'm having a problem, what about others that have not been doing it as long as I have. So, this is what I did. Not saying it is the right way, and there might be an easier way, but this is how I did it.

I decided I wanted 2" strips (cut 2-1/2) with posts in the corners, and a triangle along the middle of the original block side. Sort of like Log Cabin, but not quite.

First, I measured the length of the original block sides - it was 18-1/2 inches. I have a book that is called "Taking the Math out Making Patchwork Quilts" by Bonnie Leman & Judy Martin. There's all sorts of useful info in this little book, including diagonal measurements of squares, so this is what I used. I had to work backwards tho. And it wasnt exactly to size. Like ... for an 18-1/2" side, the closest was 18-3/8". Good enough for me. The size of square for that was 13", so that's what size I worked on.

I figured if it was a full square (and not a triangle) there would be a centre square and 2 rounds, so my centre square would be 5" and then 2 rounds of 2" (well, 2 each side remember), that would give me a 13" square finished.

So, I did a trial run and it seemed to work, so I bit the bullet. :-)

OK. Here we go .......

Cut 2 squares 5-7/8" and cut on one diagonal
(you will now have 4 triangles.)
From the same fabric, cut eight 2-1/2" squares.

You will need 2 colours for the strips. I used one light and one dark.

From the light fabric you will need 8 pieces 2-1/2" x about 8"

From the dark fabric, you will need 8 pieces 2-1/2" x about 12"

Construction:
Stitch one 8" light strip to a short side of the triangle. Your strip will be quite a bit longer, but thats OK. Press the seam towards the strip. Make sure it is all nice and flat. press both sides (right and wrong side), just to make sure it is good and flat.

Lay the unit right side up on your cutting mat. Now, look at your ruler. Somewhere on one end there will be lines that show you the degree of angle. You are looking for the 45 deg. line. You need to line up that line with the outer edge of the strip you just added, and the edge of the ruler should be lined up with the bottom of the triangle and across the excess of the strip. Make sure everything lines up, then trim off the excess.

Actually, on this picture I've lined the 45 deg line up with the other side of the triangle, but that works too.

Next, sew a small square onto a light strip and press towards the square.

Butt the seams and sew this strip onto the other side of the triangle. Press the seam towards the strip, then line up the 45 deg. line on the ruler and trim off.

We are half way there. It's not so bad, is it?

Now take a dark strip and sew that onto one side, as before. Press towards the strip and trim off. Add a small square to a 12" length and sew that on the other side, butting the seams so they fit nice and neat.

Hey presto, you have one side done. You need to make 3 more, just like that!



Now find the centre of the large triangle and the centre of the block. Pin this point, right sides together, of course.
You will find that the points of the new large triangle extend about half an inch longer than the block. That's right, they should. In this pic I have left a little of the block showing so you can see better. Pin generously and sew carefully.

Try not to handle the large triangle too much, as the long side is all bias and could stretch. We are almost there!

When you add an adjoining side, you need to leave a quarter inch dog-ear, as shown in this pic.







And finally, this is what the centre of your new block will look like. I havent trimmed off the dog-ears yet. I'll leave that for the next RR member.

Cant show you a pic of the whole block yet. Dont want the recipient to see too much.

Hope you can follow these instructions. I'd love some feed-back on this - good or bad. This is only my second tutorial, so I'm still learning.

Have fun with this, especially the girls in the RR.

Cheers,
Faye.

1 comment:

Di's SnippitS said...

Thank you very much for that it should be a great help. Di Soupy